Refugee Sewing Training Kicks off
Application is now open for the second session of the 8weeks sewing training program, which is part of Workforce Training for Manufacturing Sewing Jobs -Refugee and Immigrant Training Program. This free training program is focused on teaching the basic skills required by local employers, for employment as an industrial sewist. This training will help prepare students for pre-employment testing required by most employers. This is a self-paced training program. Students will progress through the program based on their mastery of skills.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will:
- Be prepared for pre-employment testing with local employers
Students will receive:
- Certificate of completion
- Immediate interview with local manufacturer
- Access to Dayton Sewing Collaborative for 6 months to practice and reinforce skills
- Students must be referred by a community partner or social services agency
- 18 years of age or older
- Desire to learn industrial sewing and start a career
- Commitment to program: must be available to attend class at least 4 hours per week.
- Drug and alcohol free
Refugee and Immigrant Training is held every Tuesday and Thursday from 4 – 8 p.m.
Session 2: starts March 28, 2017
Each session is 8 weeks long. Students are expected to attend class a minimum of 4 hours a week.
Students will learn skills such as:
- Use of home and industrial sewing machines
- Common sewing vocabulary
- Parts and function of the machines
- Machine safety
- Straight line sewing
- Back-stitch/ back-tack
Classes will be held at the:
Dayton Sewing Collaborative
721 Springfield Street Dayton, OH 45403
Use entrance on EAST side of building.
Use driveway between 721 Springfield and Alro Steel. RTA Route 11 and X1B
Want to get involved?
Social Service Agencies
- Refer clients
- Provide input and feedback to tailor training curriculum to meet company needs
- Offer employment opportunities to graduates
Individuals with Sewing Skills:
- Volunteer! Instructors and support team are needed. Use your skills to help others.
- $300 – sponsors an individual
Classes hold every Tuesday and Thursday nights, between 4-8pm beginning 28 March 2017